[nsp] Router for a route server/reflector?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Apr 14 21:08:56 EDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 8:47 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:40:26PM -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:
>> I'm setting up a local exchange point and I need 2 routers to act as
>> route reflector.
>
> Why that? Route servers add a significant administrative SPOF and
> decrease flexibility for the peers.

2 Route reflectors peering with everyone and themselves will eliminate
the SPOF.  Each member router will have 2 BGP sessions established
instead of 1 for each member.  Reflectors will reduce the load on all
members routers which is a good thing.

> Better encourage your members to peer directly.

One of the requirements for access to the exchange point is local
peering (non transit) with everyone else connected.  Route reflectors
will accomplish that nicely.  I don't want to have members with elitist
mentality refusing to peer with others because they are too small.  If
members want to establish transit peering they can peer directly.