[nsp] Router for a route server/reflector?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Apr 14 22:08:59 EDT 2004

Matthew Crocker <matthew at crocker.com> writes:

> > Better encourage your members to peer directly.
>
> One of the requirements for access to the exchange point is local
> peering (non transit) with everyone else connected.  Route reflectors
> will accomplish that nicely.  I don't want to have members with
> elitist mentality refusing to peer with others because they are too
> small.

so you have prospective members with elitist mentality who are unable
to type "ip as-path access-list ..." ?

the policy is what it is.  the route servers are extra baggage, and in
every small exchange point i've seen that had 'em (and there have been
several that have not), have simply represented extra annoyance
without adding value.

> If members want to establish transit peering they can peer
> directly.

if members want to buy transit, perhaps they should do it on a
dedicated connection rather than across the exchange fabric.  the
secret to scaleability of exchange points is to use the switch as a
catalyst (no pun intended) to bring everyone together and then do
everything in your power to encourage them to go around it.

                                        ---rob