[nsp] Newbie OSPF Q.

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Apr 20 09:35:57 EDT 2004

> oliver and group, if ospf discards the alternate paths and only
> enters the least costly (most preferred) route into its rib, how does
> a ospf process running in a router add a new (more costly/less
> preferred but good nonetheless) route into its rib when the most
> preferred one goes down? ...i mean if it has no other routes to add
> to its rib because it previously "discarded" them how will it
> accomodate an outage in the case of the more preferred route dieing.

A route doesn't "die" all for sudden. A route can go away if a
link/router goes down (topology change) or if the announcing router
withdraws his announcement (ex: external, inter-area). Both events go
along with new/updated LSAs being flooded throughout the area, so each
OSPF node detects the change, runs SPF (and/or PRC), finds and installs
the new route.

	oli