[nsp] MD5 causes bigger problem than it fixes?

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Wed Apr 21 19:01:52 EDT 2004

* goemon at anime.net (Dan Hollis) [Thu 22 Apr 2004, 00:30 CEST]:
>>> BGP-over-IPSEC ?
>> Same CPU issue as MD5, is it not?  For directly connected sessions
>> there's the TTL hack (if Juniper implements it soon too, at least).
>
> I cant imagine GTSM taking more CPU than MD5. GTSM also means you don't
> have to juggle thousands of keys.

You're implying I wrote something I didn't.  I said that BGP-over-IPSEC
as proposed by Rubens Kuhl would have CPU issues similar to those of the
MD5 option for BGP.  Then, I noted that GTSM/the TTL hack would also
protect BGP sessions against spoofing from outside.

>> No router is bad at dropping packets, but performance, as always, varies.

Corrolary: Flooding a router's control plane with fake packets is always bad.

	-- Niels.