[nsp] Gigabit/Fibre LAN - Required Network Elements

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Thu Apr 22 01:18:52 EDT 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:22:40PM -0500, Church, Chuck wrote:
>> I haven't checked in a year or so, but last I knew, no server could
>> come close to saturating a gig link.
>
> Reaching a Gig traffic levels from a single server isn't that hard.
> Our ftp server can reach that with only 2 or 3 client requests. In
> production the clients usually have smaller bandwidth so less likely
> to hit the Gige but we are up to 400+ Megs with a doubling period of
> under a year.
>
> Colin

Hi Colin.

Could I ask your implementation for the Gig-E network, with respect mostly
to your switching and routing interfaces? I'd like to know how I could get
up to 1Gbps from server to switch to router, while keeping other users
operating at the normal 100Mbps LAN bandwidth.

As I'd mentioned earlier, we are ordering 3550 Cisco Catalyst switches and
3725 Cisco routers.

Regards,

Mark Tinka
Technical Manager, Africa Online Swaziland