[nsp] BGP TTL Security Check

Harold Ritter hritter at cisco.com
Sat Apr 24 15:50:25 EDT 2004

Andre,

At 07:32 PM 4/24/2004 +0200, Andre Chapuis wrote:
>So do we have to set 'neighbor TTL-security 1, 2, 254 or 255' ?
>= > 2 questions
>1. is the value the min-ttl allowed or 255-the max ttl allowed

If peers are directly connected, you would set the hops value to 1
(therefore requiring the TTL to be 255 in incoming BGP packets).

>2. is the router first decrementing the TTL and then processing the packet
>? which would seem logical to me but ....

For packets that are not destined to the local router, the TTL is
decremented and then forwarded if TTL is greater than 0. TTL is not
decremented if packets are destined to the local router.