[nsp] Ethernet/G.703 converter & Cisco G.703 interface

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Apr 25 13:22:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 12:02:12PM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > Is it possible to pass IP traffic from the operator's network into the my
> > router using the schema below?
>
> Most likely no - but it depends on how the Ethernet/G.703 converter
> works. If it removes the Ethernet framing and instead adds a proper
> PPP or Cisco HDLC frame, it might work. If it simply puts the full
> Ethernet frame inside G.703, it won't work.

I don't think it can work.  The other direction needs proper ARPing to
get the correct destination MACs into the packets...

It might work if the box in question claims to be a "serial half-bridge"
(like "the remote end of a Cisco<->Cisco bridge over a G.703 line")...
but even in that case, the local router would have to do briding, or
something like "route-bridge IP on serials" (which is not there, as far
as I know).

"There be dragons"

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/