[nsp] permit vty ssh, no telnet for some users ?

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Mon Apr 26 16:09:29 EDT 2004

Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:09:11PM -0700, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
>
>>the solution exists on the clients not on infra-structure boxes which
>>by rights ought not to have perofm this type operation.
>

> There is *no way* to "perform this type of operation".
>
> You cannot limit the connection type to specific users if you only know
> the user name *after* establishing the connection.

Well, true you can't deny the transport type based on user identity prior
to learning that identity over said transport. However, I think there is a
way to limit certain users to being authenticated over certain transports
using AAA server groups.  Here is a sample config:

aaa group server tacacs+ FOR-TELNET
  server 1.1.1.1
!
aaa group server tacacs+ FOR-SSH
  server 2.2.2.2
!
aaa authentication login SSH-ONLY group FOR-SSH
aaa authentication login TELNET-ONLY group FOR-TELNET
!
tacacs-server host 1.1.1.1 key FOO
tacacs-server host 2.2.2.2 key BAR
!
line vty 1
  login authentication SSH-ONLY
  transport input ssh
line vty 2
  login authentication TELNET-ONLY
  transport input telnet

In this case, you would be running two different TAC+ servers (or two
instances on different ports if you choose) where a limited set of users is
in one of those instances and a different set is in the other.

A bit of an administrative pain, but I know of many organizations that run
multiple authentication services depending on a varying number of factors
including a certain router set, etc.

--
=========
bep