[nsp] Bridging?

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Tue Apr 27 10:02:14 EDT 2004

(trying once again to get this working)

I am not sure I was clear enough on the first shot.

My idea is the following:
1. I currently have Cisco 2621 access routers, with E1 controllers and n
x "CSU/DSU + Cisco 1600" at the other end as CPEs. On the ethernet port
of the 1600 the customer typically hooks up his firewall (ISP
environment).
2. I would like to replace "CSU/DSU + router" by "E1/Eth bridge" to
which the customer would connect his FW.

So far, all the schemes I have seen are putting the ethernet side of the
2621 (or 3640 in my previous example) into some sort of bridge or bridge
group; IMHO this interface should not be modified: it's only the Serial
links that would change.

So instead of a router that routes between
Fa0/0 and Serial0/0:0, Serial0/1:0, Serial1/0:0, etc.
I would have a router that routes between
Fa0/0 and BVI0, BVI1, BVI2, etc. (or something like that).

The "BVI" interfaces having the IP address that was previously on the
Ethernet interface of the CPE (/30 for PtP connection disappears).

Is this making sense? Is this possible?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Vincent