[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

Blaz Zupan blaz at inlimbo.org
Tue Apr 27 14:15:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Charles Spurgeon wrote:
> I have come to dislike these L3 switches because of these support
> issues. They appear to take a snapshot of IOS, stuff it on the switch,

I couldn't agree more. We bought two 3550 switches and planned to do L3
routing, now they're being used just as very expensive L2 switches. They are
severely limited in every respect (as L3 devices) and the software is just
rotting away. For example, how does one get counters on SVI interfaces on a
3550? Answer: you don't. If I have a interface on a router, I would expect to
be able to SNMP read the counters off that interface. I don't care if it's a
router or a switch trying to be a router. The sales literature does not tell
you about all of this, it's actually pretty well hidden away in a dusty corner
of the documentation. It's actually even worse: you *can* read the counters,
but they only count traffic originated by the switch or terminated on the
switch, not traffic being routed *through* the switch. Annoying as hell.

We've already switched to Juniper for high-end routers and we won't be buying
any Cisco switches. The only remaining Cisco product we buy is the 7206 VXR
(we buy them on the used market, so Cisco gets no $$$ from us) and the EoL
AS5300 (the AS5350 does not run 12.2 mainline IOS which has proven to be the
only stable IOS with VoIP support for us, again no $$$ from us for Cisco).
Cisco sure as hell won't be getting any more of our business.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :-)