[nsp] Port Up/Down Flaps between 2950T and 2980G etherchannel

Alex Foster afoster at gammatelecom.com
Tue Apr 27 15:38:36 EDT 2004

Appols if this might be a little off topic - but I cant seem to fathom out the cause and
wondered if any of you guys have seen something similar.

I have a 2950T-24 and a 2980G connected together using a non-trunking six port etherchannel.
The channel comes up fine (im not using PAgP/LACP on either switch).  The wiring between both
switches has been checked and re-checked - and none of the ports on either switch are showing
errors of any significance.

The problem is this: If you touch or move the cables/connectors at the 2950 end the corresponding ports
the 2980 go disconnect - sometimes they recover sometimes they dont. The weird thing
is the ports on the 2950 always stay up  - even when the 2980 ports are down - this causes
connectivity issues as I am using dst-mac load balancing on the 2950 - so it still believes it can
fwd frames to certain MAC addresses on a link that is actually down (according to the 2980).

Many thanks in advance

Alex F.