[nsp] another counter funny

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 28 11:52:04 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:38:28AM -0700, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
> I set a full/100 port on a cat 3550 for connection into a Nortel BPS.
> Unbeknownst to me, the Nortel BPS port was set up as auto detect.  The
> Nortel autodetected that the cat 3550 port was half/100.  There were many
> collisions recorded on the cat 3550 port counters.

How can the 3550 detect a collision here?  If the 3550 is set to
"full-duplex", a collision (on the 3550 side) *can* *not* *happen*.
The very essence of a "collision" (reception of a packet preamble while
preparing to send) cannot happen if the port is *permitted* to send and
receive at the same time (= full-duplex).

The Nortel will report collisions to no end (because every packet sent
full-duplex by the 3550 will be seen as a collision).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de