[nsp] another counter funny

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 29 03:19:13 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:50:03AM -0700, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
> who cares as long the bytes flow.
>
> its a long standing credo of cisco software development
> that counting bytes will never be as important as moving them.

We do care.  We monitor our interfaces' input and output error counters
closely, and generate alarms if specific events happen.

So it's a major nuisance to get alarms for things that are not broken...

> this focus on how screwed up cisco counters are is an old and weather-beaten
> thread.

The amazing thing is how new software trains revive old counter bugs
(12.2S has the "show int stuck" behaviour that is long fixed in 12.0S) and
at the same time invent new ones.

[..]
> counters are low priority in the IOS execution space and is treated as such.

You've never had to bill customers based on bandwidth/volume used, have
you?  For the ISP business, working counters are *quite* important.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de