[c-nsp] SX optics on single-mode fiber?

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Sun Aug 1 19:47:09 EDT 2004

* billw at waveform.net (Bill Wichers) [Mon 02 Aug 2004, 01:26 CEST]:
[snip good advice]
> There are such things as 'mode conditioning' patch cords that are intended
> for this sort of thing, and they *might* be useful to you over this
> relatively short distance. Not sure on cost since I've never used them.

A mode conditioning patch cord is meant to launch 1330 nm optics better
into multimode fiber by having it traverse a bit of single mode fiber at
the TX part first.  I don't think it's useful for SX (850 nm) optics.

I can second the suggestions of getting multimode fiber or LX/LH optics
for your equipment.  Note that "LH" is ambiguous among vendors.

(Speaking of mode conditioning patch cords, I still remember that
 mode-conditioning-patch-cord.campsite.hal2001.org had address
 217.155.128.13, because it was my workstation's hostname and address.
 Oh, the search at that time for the answer to the question what such
 a cable actually consisted of!  I know slightly better now...)

	-- Niels.