[c-nsp] BGP convergence with jumbo frames

Tantsura, Jeff jeff.tantsura at capgemini.com
Mon Aug 2 08:30:17 EDT 2004

Path MTU and the ip tcp path-mtu-discovery Command

All TCP sessions are bounded by a limit on the number of bytes that can
be transported in a single packet. This limit, known as the Maximum
Segment Size (MSS), is 536 bytes by default. In other words, TCP breaks
up packets in a transmit queue into 536 byte chunks before passing
packets down to the IP layer. Use the show ip bgp neighbors | include
max data command to display the MSS of BGP peers:

Router# show ip bgp neighbors | include max data

Datagrams (max data segment is 536 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 536 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 536 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 536 bytes):
The advantage of a 536 byte MSS is that packets are not likely to be
fragmented at an IP device along the path to the destination since most
links use an MTU of at least 1500 bytes. The disadvantage is that
smaller packets increase the amount of bandwidth used to transport
overhead. Since BGP builds a TCP connection to all peers, a 536 byte MSS
affects BGP convergence times.

The solution is to enable the Path MTU (PMTU) feature, using the ip tcp
path-mtu-discovery command. You can use this feature to dynamically
determine how large the MSS value can be without creating packets that
need to be fragmented. PMTU allows TCP to determine the smallest MTU
size among all links in a TCP session. TCP then uses this MTU value,
minus room for the IP and TCP headers, as the MSS for the session. If a
TCP session only traverses Ethernet segments, then the MSS will be 1460
bytes. If it only traverses Packet over SONET (POS) segments, then the
MSS will be 4430 bytes. The increase in MSS from 536 to 1460 or 4430
bytes reduces TCP/IP overhead, which helps BGP converge faster.

After enabling PMTU, again use the show ip bgp neighbors | include max
data command to see the MSS value per peer:

Router# show ip bgp neighbors | include max data

Datagrams (max data segment is 1460 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 1460 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 1460 bytes):
Datagrams (max data segment is 1460 bytes):

Jeff