[c-nsp] can't be -- output discards on 6500 gig-e

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Mon Aug 2 10:03:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:21:05PM +0300, Tarko Tikan wrote:

> btw, does anyone know such a tool for linux? I did a little search half a year
> ago and couldn't find any. Catch is that it would poll every 10 seconds so I
> can actually see almost-realtime view. Cricket is good for long-term
> monitoring and overview but not for verifying traffic shaper etc.

I like TkINED for such tasks. You can visualize somewhat larger
topologies of interconnected routers/switches with an interface utilization
stripchart at every interesting link, polling in 5s intervals or even
faster down to 1s. I doubt, however, that you can reliably track output
drop causing peaks on a 1000Base Interface this way. Running over the output
buffer will take some 100KiB corresponding approximately to 1MiBit of data.
This is 1/1000th of what the interface could actually press through in the
1s measurement interval, so it will not show up on a 1s averaged stripchart
in any significant way.

--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-