[c-nsp] BGP convergence with jumbo frames

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Mon Aug 2 12:00:56 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Tony Li wrote:

> How are your huge processor buffers set up?

Defaults right now (5 permanent). I wasn't getting any
misses or failures during the tests, so I didn't think it
was an issue.

I just tried bumping this to 20 permanent on each end.
Doesn't seem to make a difference.

> I would not expect a larger MTU/MSS to have much of an
> effect, if at all.  BGP is typically not constrained by
> throughput.  In fact, what you may be seeing is that
> with really large MTUs and without a bigger TCP window,
> you're turning TCP into a stop and wait protocol.

Is there a way to set the initial TCP window larger?

I tried "ip tcp selective-ack" and it seemed to decrease the
number of retransmits (I wonder why there are so many
retransmits...).

This is a greenfield network, so right now there is nothing
happening on these routers.

Some concerning stats at 9000-byte MTU, from the "show ip
bgp neighbor":

Sending router (the one with the full BGP table):
 Datagrams (max data segment is 8936 bytes):