[c-nsp] ISP POP Location - Blocking Ports - Advice

joshua sahala jejs at sahala.org
Tue Aug 3 00:46:48 EDT 2004

On (02/08/04 22:18), Church, Chuck wrote:

> I began blocking these ports outbound on various customer sites a couple
> years ago.  Seeing as how any legitimate business use of MS networking
> over the internet will be over some encrypted means (unless the company
> is trying to go out of business :), unencrypted NetBIOS is something the
> world is probably better off without.  Rate-limiting ICMP echoes have
> also been pretty helpful with some of these installations.  YMMV
> however.

the secure ios template has some good suggestions -  several i am
currently using (i was only thinking of acl's earlier):

uRPF is good - strict for downstream and/or customer ports, loose for
your transit interfaces
bogon filtering
rate-limiting icmp, syn, udp into the network (only after several
months of baselining and tuning)
filtering 'bad' icmp (stuff that doesn't really have a legit use)

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-ios-template.html

/joshua
fools.
	- Douglas Adams -