[c-nsp] 3550 Switches

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Thu Aug 5 13:55:38 EDT 2004

We have had excellent luck with 3550 switches.  We use them with the EMI image
on the edge of our network to attach customers, and use OSPF to advertise
routes anchored on them up to 2 6509s in the distribution layer.

They seem to be able to take quite a beating in terms of traffic and not fall
over.... We don't throw a lot of routes at them, they are all in a series of
NSSA areas - so we are not pushing them that hard, but we have had a few
badly infected 100meg customers flatten routers further upstream while the
3550 kept on sailing just fine...

Yes you need the EMI version to do OSPF.

Dan.