[c-nsp] Number of Switches in MST+

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 6 14:42:49 EDT 2004

I believe that I could characterize my experiences with a large[*] L2
switched infrastructure as "ugly", specifically with the 3550, and it
should be avoided if possible.  Cisco touts the model of access,
distribution, core for a reason and scales and builds their products
accordingly.  Do it.

About lots of vlans on the 3550, read your release notes for the
maximum number of "logical interfaces" supported.  This is not SVI's,
this is the maximum number of spanning tree instances in total that the
box can handle.  IIRC, this number is 128 for the 3550 and 3750.  Stay
far, far below this number.

As for code stability on the 3550, IOS is nowhere near fully baked for
that platform.  Take a look at CSCed65818 (fixed), CSCdx20106 (not
fixed), CSCdx20106 (not fixed), CSCdx45558 (not fixed).  In summary, I
would stay well away of any network design that puts a 3550 in a
situation to have to mitigate spanning tree loops (for redundant links
in particular) or make any important spanning tree forwarding decisions
period.  I can't even take credit for that advice, as it was a
recommendation of Cisco after our last outage caused by 3550's.

The latest version of IOS for the 3550 is better in most regards, or at
least the 3550 no longer causes network loops and thus broadcast storms
as easily when the CPU is tasked, and you don't have to send your field
techs around town to reboot them when the hang as often anymore.

Also, beware of scaling VTP (v2, at least) that large.  Although YMMV,
I believe that huge VTP domains are generally not recommended.

However, I am a fan of CatOS on 4x00 and 6x00 series switches.

Dale
Network Guy
University of Wisconsin at Madison

[*] A city-wide network, a few thousand switches, a few hundred vlans,
lots of backhauling/trunking to tens of routers