[c-nsp] Believing iBGP over eBGP?

Dry, Cameron Cameron.Dry at team.telstra.com
Wed Aug 11 04:28:42 EDT 2004

The AD for BGP is only used to compare BGP to
other routing protocols, not between iBGP and eBGP.

eBGP paths will only take precedence over iBGP paths
if the higher priority attributes in the path selection algorithm
are the same (weight, local pref, AS path etc).

The "received-only" indicator for the AS7132 prefix indicates
that you are filtering the advertisement; therefore, BGP
has selected the path with the lowesr AS_PATH value.

So the solution is to either

a. Modify you ingress route-map to permit 0/0 from AS7132
    (if this is desired behaviour),or,
b. Apply an inbound route-map to modify the weight of
    the eBGP prefix so it is preferred (note that you can't
    use local pref as this will also make the route favourable
    to router A).