[c-nsp] 6500 vs 7600

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Aug 11 10:00:02 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:49:18PM +0000, rwcrowe at comcast.net wrote:
> Thanks Mat,
>      Thats what I figured. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on Cisco's direction with this ? Is it just marketing for Service Providers ? Since there is no technical difference ?

	it's just marketing.

	We've got sup1a's that we've upgraded to sup720s.  Now, if I
call in for support, what do I tell them i have?  imho, marketing really
screwed up here to create a huge headache for their customers, but oh
well.

	If you do get the s720, you'll need the upgraded PS'es and
upgraded fan trays (you may need to upgrade your facility power
as well).

	I've found the s720 to be quite nice.  we're currently
starting to run 12.2(18)SXD on them without any problems..
(policing, bgp, ospf, ipv6 [bgp, ospfv3], pim, msdp)

> > You can buy a 6509 on eBay, throw a couple SUP 720s in it and viola!
> > you have a 7600. You'll probably need to upgrade the fan and power
> > supply as well.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net