[c-nsp] 7507 ios for 20MB

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Aug 11 10:04:50 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:44:10PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 15:15, b.turnbow at twt.it wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I need to upgrade a couple of 7507s from 12.0S to 12.2S
> > but
> > they only have 20M of flash so I can't go to 12.2.18,...
>
> Well, depending on what configurations you have that may require the early
> stage of the boot process, you could boot the IOS of your choice (regardless
> of size) off a TFTP server (as long as you have the RAM to support it).

	Now, this isn't an "officially" supported configuration
but it works..

	1) upgrade your bootflash: image to one that supports ATA flash
(eg: any recent 12.0S or 12.2S rsp-boot image)
	2) go to best buy and pick up a $13 CF <-> PCMCIA adapter
	3) while you're at best buy (or other electronics retailer)
pick up a 32-128m CF card
	4) insert into router, format disk0:
	5) enjoy(*)!

* - The flash will be inaccessible from the rom monitor of a RSP, RSP2, RSP4
    due to lack of support for ATA/FAT filesystem.  You are using the
    boot loader for what it's good for, assisting this boot situation.

    RSP8 and others do have support, in that case, just use recent code
and enjoy.

	It's not a "tac supported" configuration, but as long as
you're not having problems booting your router, they're not going to
hassle you about how it was booted, and hopefully deal directly
with your real problem.

	- Jared