[c-nsp] Virtual-ish eBGP

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 17:58:58 EDT 2004

Nick Kraal wrote:

> We are looking at a few ways to overcome the strict AS2 routing policy
> and am looking at few possibilities.
>
> [1] Running eBGP multihop between AS1 and AS3.

Even if it worked, sending traffic to your upstream/peer without them
sending you BGP routes first would almost certainly be a violation of
your contract with them and would get you disconnected immediately and
without notice should you be discovered.

> [2] Running eBGP on a /30 tunnel (virtual link) between AS1 and AS3.

This would be OK per the terms of your contract, but it will cause you
MTU problems.

If AS2 is sending you a full routing table, I would suggest you drop
them and find some other provider. If AS2 is not supposed to be sending
you a full routing table, then you're basically trying to steal service
from them.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time