[c-nsp] Tuning MST (MSTP)

Patrick Coppinger pcoppinger at corp.earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 09:32:54 EDT 2004

If you have redundant routers in front of your LANs (running HSRP ?) you
might want to have each router be STP root for half of the VLANs to load
balance the networks. Seperating them into 2 MST instances is a good way to
achieve this and also simplify your config

At 09:00 PM 8/11/2004 -0500, Alexandra Alvarado wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The company where I work has a layer 2 networks, to have loop free, we
>have been configured
>STP, but now STP is not enough because it only support 128 instance it
>means 128 vlans.
>I need to configure more than 128 vlans, that's why I'm going to move to
>MST to group all
>4094 vlans in 1 or 2 instance MST.
>
>My questions:
>
>1.- I read "By default, all VLANs are mapped to instance 0.". I want to
>divide my vlans in 2
>instance:
>
>         instance 0 : Vlan 1-10
>         instance 1: Vlan 11-4094
>
>What is de advantage to manage all vlans in 1 instace?, or is better to
>divide the vlans in more
>the one instance.
>
>If I use 2 instance inspite 1 MST instance the broadcast wil reduce?

Patrick Coppinger
Network Engineer, CCNP
Earthlink, Inc