[c-nsp] Grounding your 6500's?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Aug 12 09:48:51 EDT 2004

Grounding everything is a 'Good Thing' (tm).  We generally attach a
ground to everything that comes with a ground lug attachment point.  If
that means we need to ground the chassis, each power supply, the rack.
  We have a main ground bus running along the top of our racks.  We
H-Tap that bus onto a grounding bar for each rack. Equipment in the
rack is grounded to the grounding bar.  Everything is grounded back to
the main ground bus (Racks, Conduits, AC & DC power systems,
transformers, panels, everything).  The grounding bus is attached to
the ground (duh) which is the a copper mesh buried outside.

I have seen installations, mostly by Lucent that have a completely
separate grounding system for the phone switch.  The power plant is
grounded to the building ground per NEC requirements. The
switch/equipment is grounded to a ground field outside using 3 sets of
400 MCM cable.  Talk about over kill.  I think having two floating
ground is a bad thing and can cause ground loops.

-Matt