[c-nsp] disabling dCEF per VIP on 7500?

Raymond, Steven steven_raymond at eli.net
Thu Aug 12 19:50:27 EDT 2004

A few years ago, some of our routers had VIP2-40s w/ only 32MB.  When they
ran out of DRAM (as soon as BGP got about halfway loaded), you'd get a
malloc failure in the syslog, but everything stayed up and it was relatively
benign.  These boxes had a mix of 40s and 50s.  dCEF would stay working on
the 50s and "sh cef linecard" displayed that the 40s were "disabled".
Am not positive, but when dCEF disables, router then defaults to what, fast
switching?  Some non-distributed CEF?  The load on the RSP was definitely
higher.  In fact, when all the 40s were replaced with 50s, there was a nice
drop in RSP CPU.