[c-nsp] Cisco VLAN configuration - total newbie

Crooks, Samuel scrooks at aristocrat-inc.com
Thu Aug 12 23:56:11 EDT 2004

Nate:

A couple things;

I don't have the equipment you have (2950 and 7200), but seems to me
that I couldn't create a subinterface on a 1700 series FastEthernet int
without first removing it's IP... last time I tried...

I think you should:

Create 2 subnets of appropriate size from your block, and have the
customers re-address themselves into the IP range you allocate to
them.... set their access ports into the right VLAN's.  (don't use VLAN
1 for customer VLAN's)...it sounds like you are using a /24  ... you
could subnet this or use another range for each customer, and give each
one a /24 or larger, depending on your network...

Remove the IP on the fa2/2 int in the VXR

Setup a dotq1 trunking on the VXR fa2/2 interface and the uplink
interface from the 2950.

Configure 2 subinterfaces on fa2/2  numbered the SAME as the VLAN
numbers for each customer (it helps keep things straight to have the
VLAN correspond to the subinterface)

Assign the first host IP (or last.. your preference...I prefer first IP
in the range to be the router interface) in the range to the
subinterface as it's IP address.

This article may help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configura
tion_example09186a00800ef797.shtml