[c-nsp] Questions with 802.1ad

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Aug 13 08:31:28 EDT 2004

Joe Shen <> wrote on Friday, August 13, 2004 11:40 AM:

> Hi,
>
> To my understanding, if one of link in a 802.1ad channel ( more than 2
> links)
> failes traffic on it will be taken by working links, so the connection
> will not be
> recovered. But, someone told me, connection broke in their experiments
> with etherchannel betwen Cisco 6509 when one of two links is
> disconnected.

Not sure what might have caused this.. if a link goes down, it will be
removed from the channel. There might be some failure scenarios which go
unnoticed by the switch, i.e. when you disable PaGP/LACP on the channel
and cause a failure where the link will stay up on the switch (like a
unidirectional fiber cut), this will obviously cause problems..
Note: generally, Cisco routers don't speak PaGP/LACP

	oli