[c-nsp] Replacment for 3640

Barney Sowood barney at sowood.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 11:16:55 EDT 2004

Hi,

One of my customers has a 3640 that's being used to route traffic from
their core network to some access devices (an LNS for fixed wireless
broadband, an LNS for ADSL and an NAS for dialup).

The 3640 connects to the core network via one FE interface and to the
other devices with a second FE interface doing 802.1q

Currently the 3640 does iBGP with the two LNS boxes and routes about
10Mb/s of traffic (about 3kpps). It copes fine with this, usually with
a cpu load below 50%, However, the traffic is likely to increase in
the next few months, possibly up to 40Mb/s, and we'd also like to
implement some traffic policing using NBAR. If you switch that on at
the moment, the cpu load hits about 95%.

I'm basically looking for recommendations as to what to replace it
with, we can probably get hold of a 7206/NPE-200 or a 7206vxr/NPE-300,
do people think either of those would cope OK (I'd think so from the
point of view of moving packets - it's more the NBAR overhead I'm
unsure about)?

Thanks,

Barney.

--