[c-nsp] max number of iBGP sessions

Annu Roopa annu_roopa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 14:12:43 EDT 2004

Clinton,

What i was referring to below was, in reference to the actual Q without RRs by just
having simple iBGP seesions. I was not referring to the limit with RR. I know with RR's
its scalable and it can carry the full Internet route table.

Maybe i was not clear. The 20 was when possibly we should start using RRs instead
of iBGP mesh.

Thanks for replying though.

Annu

Clinton Work <clinton at scripty.com> wrote:

I don't think you'll run into the limit anytime soon if you use dedicated
RRs
while taking advantage of peer-groups whenever possible. I have seen
dedicated RRs (7206VXR/NPE400) with roughly 60 IBGP sessions carrying full
Internet BGP routes. The 7206s only work hard when they first bring up all
the IBGP sessions on bootup. Roughly 10 of the 60 IBGP are carrying 100,000+
routes and the rest have between 10-1000 IBGP routes.

> > > I think the number depends more on the numbers of routes it will
> > > handle and the memory u have on the box (and memory free). I have see
using 20 >>> with a reasonable # of routes to be a good start.