[c-nsp] Router/switch suggestions

Olav Langeland Olav.Langeland at activeisp.com
Wed Aug 25 06:31:51 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am putting together a proposal for border routers and core switches at
a new hosting facility.

The routers should be able to handle STM-1 (and up), gigabit ethernet,
BGP, Netflow, CEF. Nothing exotic , so a stable workhorse is good. I was
looking at 7206, but NSE-1? NPE-400? What is the major differences
between these two?

Core switches, maybe 6503 or 6506? They would basically push out fiber
to Catalyst 3500/3550 switches, do VLANs and ACL on VLANS. Peeked at
cisco.com and if I understand it correctly, sup720 is a big brother
version of the sup2? With a sup2 I would also need a MSFC2 module?

Both routers and switches will be setup 2x in a redundant layout
ofcourse. Firewalls is not a part of this deal, but will be placed i the
middle (routers <-> firewall <-> switches). Thanks for any comments or
suggestions.

/olav langeland - olav.langeland at activeisp.com