[c-nsp] Replacing 7513 with 6509?

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Wed Aug 25 11:43:48 EDT 2004

.

the 65xx class boxes can do what you wish.

though its a bit pricey, the L3 capabilities are there.

v/r,
~piranha

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Chris Roberts
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 6:32 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Replacing 7513 with 6509?

Heya,

I'm pretty familiar with the 7500 series, however I'm know quite little
about the architecture of the 6500s. We have some 7513s currently doing
straight IP connections, L3 MPLS VPNs and EoMPLS (L2VPNs) via trunked
ethernet to 6500s. These 6500s have Sup1a and MSFC2s.

I'm trying to find out, but www.cisco.com gives mixed reports, whether we
can upgrade these 6500s to a Native IOS code and remove the 7513s from the
equation and carry on running these L3 MPLS VPNs and EoMPLS. We need to give
some customers full feeds - is this a problem (what's the max memory on a
Sup1a)?

How do the 6509s fare with this many features? I havn't historically been a
fan of the Cisco Switch/Routers because of bugs and limited features, but
I'm willing to be convinced that the 6509s could be a reasonable platform
for this:-)

Any IOS recommendations aswell?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,