[c-nsp] POS Controller pointers thresholds

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Wed Aug 25 13:36:07 EDT 2004

PSE (Positive Stuff Event) is more of a warning than a real error. Its
indication
of clock slip between the near and far end. To adjust for the clock slip the
SONET ADMs shift the SONET pointer one byte forward (PSE) or backwards (NSE)
to adjust periodically for the clock slip (think leap year adjustment). The
PSE and
NSE events don't cause any dropped frames. The PSE/NSE adjustments can be
caused by clock misconfiguration (as suggested). I have seen a lot of
NSE / PSE events on circuits that cross multiple transport providers. The
SONET
networks of the different service providers can have slightly different
clock sources
which causes the clock drift.

Clocking configuration:
Back to back POS circuit over dark fiber or DWDM - clock source internal
(both sides)
POS Circuit over SONET ADMs - clock source line (both sides)

NEWPTR errors are caused when the SONET controller looses track of the
pointer inside
the SONET frame. Its not normal and is usually caused by clocking
misconfiguration
or optical receive problems. I don't think you have a line issue because all
the other
SONET counters are clean.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a00800944fd.shtml