[c-nsp] BGP Balanced

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Aug 26 09:41:25 EDT 2004

I agree it's more CPU overhead but that's what
happens when you are in a software based forwarding
environment and you add more features.

What I do find to help though is that a lot of customers
do fragmentation when they don't really need it.
You could get similar load balancing result without
fragmentation enabled and you save that extra CPU
overhead.  It will not be the exact load balancing
result but my experience has showed it's very very close.

If you need QOS and it's on low speed links you need
the fragmentation/LFI.

"significantly more CPU" is too broad based of a comment
because people think that's the case for any MLPPP
deployment example which is not the case.  It's correlated
to a bunch of factors: # member links, speed of links,
fragmenation or not, etc...

Doing MLPPP on a 26xx with 2x56k dialup links, I'd say the
CPU overhead is insignifiant.  Doing it on a 26xx with
4 T1's bundles together at line rate with 64 byte packets
then I would say it is significant.

You have to match it up to the individual deployment scenario.

Rodney