[c-nsp] Wierd HSRP Problem

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Fri Aug 27 14:55:39 EDT 2004

I have an HSRP config set up utilizing Vlans and I have added interface
tracking in order to switch active routers when one of the interfaces
go down.

Thanks to Boyan Krosnov I located the Cisco docs on how to configure this
setup and followed it.

Now when I down the circuit (admin or just go disconnect it) the primary
switch knows that it is down and resets its priority, but it will not
release its active state.

As it shows below, the interface is down and the priority is now 95, but
it is still in active state. The BACKUP switch clearly has the highest
priority, and assumed the active role, but the primary never went to
standby.

When I manually change the priority of the backup switch, the primary
immediately goes into standby.

Has anyone seen this before..?

PRIMARY SWITCH

Vlan20 - Group 14
  Local state is Active, priority 95 (confgd 110), may preempt
  Hellotime 3 sec, holdtime 10 sec
  Next hello sent in 2.792
  Virtual IP address is 207.118.13.1 configured
  Active router is local
  Standby router is unknown
  Virtual mac address is 0000.0c07.ac0e
  Authentication text "BIG"
  10 state changes, last state change 00:04:22
  IP redundancy name is "BIG" (cfgd)
  Priority tracking 1 interface, 0 up:
    Interface                  Decrement  State
    GigabitEthernet7/14           15      Down  (administratively down)

BACKUP

Vlan21 - Group 14
  Local state is Active, priority 109, may preempt
  Hellotime 3 sec, holdtime 10 sec
  Next hello sent in 0.670
  Virtual IP address is 207.118.13.1 configured
  Active router is local
  Standby router is unknown
  Virtual mac address is 0000.0c07.ac0e
  Authentication text "BIG"
  14 state changes, last state change 00:08:29
  IP redundancy name is "BIG" (cfgd)

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."