[c-nsp] 7x00 routers that survive

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubens at email.com
Mon Aug 30 12:37:02 EDT 2004

> Forget anything with software based forwarding (as in: We recently
> tested a 7200/NPE-G1 with a Smartbits. It handled up to around 630k
> pps - as far as I can see this is slightly less than one STM-1 full
> of minimum sized packets).

A FE link can carry 148800pps simplex, twice as much full-duplex. A Juniper
reference says an ATM STM-1 can carry 300 kpps of 40 bytes packets; I'm
willing to bet that attacks will come only from inside or outside, not both
sides... so if NPE-G1 can handle 630kpps of attack packets, it would fit the
"2 OC-3" scenario. What kind of attack packets have you sent to the router
with Smartbits ?

Rubens