[c-nsp] portchannel & dcef?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Dec 1 10:36:36 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> It shouldn't be process switched but rather CEF switched on the RSP.
> That's why the route-cache line increments there.  We don't support
> ip accounting in the dCEF path (use netflow) so that's why the
> traffic was getting punted to the RSP for switching.

Well, there seems to be yet another counter issue, because the portchannel
stats said the traffic was being route cache (cef on the RSP) switched,
but the portchannel member FEs were saying processor switched.  Can an
RSP4 processor switch 50mbit/s from FE's into a POS?

> Well, most likely not based on my experience.  You would have to be
> getting traffic to the box in the first place and usually the routing
> doesn't converge that quickly.  I once thought we could do a faster
> software ugprade with SSO and FSU but that wasn't true.  If the RSP's
> are not on the same version of code it falls back to RPR mode during
> the upgrade so it's not that much faster.  The time to boot depends

I was pretty sure you could too, and thought I'd done it before in the
lab.  I should have access to a spare 7507 later today and will do some
testing on it.  There are multiple pages at cisco.com that suggest the
7500 can do FSU.

> If it were me and you had a lab to verify the basic setup I would
> probably look at 12.0(27)S or so based on my work in similar setups
> lately.  It's the port-channel setup that I haven't worked with.

For some reason I didn't think 12.0S supported MPLS VPN, but I just looked
it up in FN, and see that it does appear to.  Now I have to wonder why did
I move to 12.2S?  Perhaps it was for RPR+ support which was first
available in 12.2S?...but is also now in 12.0S.