[c-nsp] pricing vs performance

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Dec 1 12:35:07 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:17:26AM -0800, Mark Kent wrote:
> While looking to upgrade a 7206vxr/npe300 by getting a NPE-G1, I see
> that, for the same price, one can get a used GSR 12008 with a GBE port
> and all the DS3 ports I'ld ever need.
>
> Which one would provide a better "leading edge" with respect to
> withstanding ddos attacks? (i.e., gives me a chance to do something
> with the traffic before it crushes customer links, on other routers)

	the distributed platform (gsr) of course.

	now, if you want to be able to touch every packet, the npe-g1 is
better, since it's a centralized processor, so anything they can write code
for can be done.. whereas the GSR, things are done in hardware so you
will be limited by what the hardware can perform.

	obviously the npe-g1 performance will dip as it does more
things, but i suspect you're not going to ask it to slice
bread.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net