[c-nsp] pricing vs performance

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 23:36:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:54:43 +0200, Kim Onnel <karim.adel at gmail.com> wrote:

> but then again 7609 would provide you with the hardware ACLs, Most
> powerful Netflow implementaion

Has Sup720 improved NDE? Certainly on Sup2/2, the netflow
implemenation is hardly "powerful".

> so if DDoS is one major key player at your comparison, make sure you
> give CoPP/ACLs/Netflow more weight.

It never gets attention on this list (besides myself, it seems) but
the 7304/NSE-100 gives you almost all of the flexibility of a 7200
with the hardware forwarding advantage of the 7600. Obviously can't
match the 7600 on port density, but unless you have a big investment
in 7200 chassis's, I'd look at it very carefully before going w/ the
G1.