[c-nsp] L2 MPLS VPNs

M.Palis security at cytanet.com.cy
Thu Dec 2 03:38:49 EST 2004

Problem description:

We are trying to test Layer 2 MPLS VPNs using Cisco AToM. We are trying to
implement ATM overs MPLS using a cisco 7507 router
(rsp-k91pv-mz.122-14.S7) and the following ATM card :
PA Bay 0 Information:
ENHANCED ATM OC3 SMI PA, 1 ports
EEPROM format version 1
HW rev 2.00, Board revision A0

When we try to apply the mpls l2 commands under the ATM pvc the command line
does nor give us the option for mpls l2transport ....:
l(config-subif)#pvc 1/70 l2
l(config-subif)#pvc 1/70 l2transport
l(cfg-if-atm-l2trans-pvc)#?
ATM L2transport VC configuration commands:
default Set a command to its defaults
encapsulation Select ATM Encapsulation for VC
exit Exit from ATM L2transport VC Configuration Mode
no Negate a command or set its defaults
ubr Configure Unspecified Bit Rate (UBR) for this
interface
vbr-nrt Enter Variable Bit Rate (pcr)(scr)(bcs)

We tried the same configuration on another 7507 with the same IOS on an ATM
E3 card and the command line works ok.
interface ATM4/0/0.4 point-to-point
pvc 1/47
vbr-nrt 2048 2048
encapsulation aal5
mpls l2transport route x.x.x.x
Are there any limitations with the ATM cards and l2 VPNs?