[c-nsp] L2 MPLS VPNs

Cisco List CiscoList at go180.net
Thu Dec 2 11:44:34 EST 2004

Be forewarned, we've seen some nasty issues with CEF and dCEF on 75xx
with 12.2(25)S1 and have backed up to 12.2(18)S6 as a result.  We're
doing L2 MPLS, L3 MPLS, OSPF, & BGP with a variety of different
modules including VIP2-50, VIP4-80, PA-MC-2T3, PA-A3-OC3, PA-2T3+,
PA-OC12-SRP.  We found that for a lot of T1 connected customers,
traffic in one direction was being process switched while in the
other direction it was being dCEF switched.  This resulted in VERY
strange behavior rather than the typical, CEF barfed, behavior.  In
one case traffic appeared to be getting blocked for certain protocols
and ports, rather than certain source/destination pairs failing.
Turning dCEF off fixed that issue but caused major issues with any
PPP connected circuits with MLPPP being the most severely affected.
After a few RSP lockups and cold boots we backed up in IOS version.
Backing up to 12.2(18)S6 fixed everything that was going wrong and is
working well so far.

So, basically be careful with 12.2(25)S.  We have a TAC case open now
to investigate and suspect that Bug IDs will be assigned shortly.

Regards,
Chad

Chad E Skidmore
One Eighty Networks, Inc.