[c-nsp] IOS PPPoE connection really slow?

Mick Hastings mick_hastings at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 01:58:37 EST 2004

Hi Guys,

I have a Cisco 2611XM with the latest IOS 12.3 and a 100Mbps fibre PPPoE
internet connection (im in Japan, this is very common here.) When the Cisco
is configured for this connection I speed test it with our provider (NTT)
and get results of around 15Mbps. There are no errors on the FastEthernet
interfaces, CPU is low, no buffers overflowing. Cisco TAC has checked the
config and say it should work but provide now answers as to why the slow
speed.

out of frustration and being tired of being told by Cisco that its an
internet connection and I get any guarentee of speed, I bought a $50 PPPoE
router with 2 100Mb interfaces form a local computer store. plugged it and
accepted the default settings which include NAT. I clicked on my Speed test
site and received a response of 45Mbps. Proof that the Cisco is causing the
problem.

I have since tried 2 other routers, 2600, 1721, both with 10Mbps interfaces.
the speed drops down to 1Mbps throughput? If I manualy set the speed of my
cheapy router to 10Mbps I still get 6Mbps!

I get no support from NTT, cause they say the circuit is fine and cant help
with router config issues. Cisco says the config is fine, But I need to use
a cisco box for GRE over IPSec Site-Site.

has anybody got any ideas? Has anybody seen this before?

thanks for your help,
cheers,
Mick