[c-nsp] No OIR for FlexWan?

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Mon Dec 6 18:02:19 EST 2004

At 02:41 PM 12/6/2004 -0800, Kevin Graham wrote:
>Was just adding a PA to a flexwan today and reinserting it triggered a
>bug hang and subsequent crash on a native sup2/2 6000 running
>12.1(22)E. Module was offline ('no power module') and all interfaces
>shutdown.
>
>Though completely inconsistent w/ documentation, TAC claims this is
>known/expected and that chassis should be powered down completely
>before OIR of a flexwan (for both original and enhanced).
>
>Looking back, not sure if I've ever done a hot insert of a flexwan,
>but was wondering if anyone on the list had experiences to support or
>contradict this..

The PAs in FlexWAN are not OIRable, but the entire module itself is. did
you try plugging the PA into the FlexWAN, while the FlexWAN was still
plugged into the system? This has never been supported on FlexWAN.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/cfgnotes/flexwan/78_10640.htm
[snip]
To prevent system problems, do not remove port adapters from the Catalyst
6500 series FlexWAN module or attempt to install other port adapters on the
module when the system is operating. To install or replace port adapters,
first remove the Catalyst 6500 series FlexWAN module from its interface
processor slot.
[end snip]

Ian