[c-nsp] 6509 from catos to ios

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Dec 8 08:55:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Kim Onnel wrote:

> I have to manage this switch, which is currently doing nothing but
> pure layer 2 switching, i want to fully utilize the switch
> capabilities, for e.g. apply netflow ,
>
> but i have 0-experience with CatOS, or at least thats what i think it
> is, can i migrate ot to IOS ?

You can migrate your 6509 to IOS, and for many people that's the way to
go.

> what are recommended configurations for such a box which handles Web
> servers ?

As much as I hate to give a "stock" answer, it really depends on the
design of your network and what you want the switch to do.  If you just
want the switch to be capable of handling layer 3 routing and IOS
manageability, then I'd think most any IP or IP PLUS image would do what
you need.

jms