[c-nsp] APS "Lockout of Protection"

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Fri Dec 10 10:19:20 EST 2004

When doing a "show aps" on a newly turned up OC-3, I'm getting:

bala-wan-gw-1#show aps
POS2/0 APS Group 1: protect channel 0 (Inactive)
        Working channel 1 at 10.254.253.1 (Enabled)
        unidirectional, revertive (15300 seconds)
        PGP timers (default): hello time=1; hold time=3
        SONET framing; SONET APS signalling by default
        Received K1K2: 0xFF 0xFF
                Lockout of Protection ()
        Transmitted K1K2: 0x00 0x04
                No Request (Null)
        Remote APS configuration: (null)

POS1/0 APS Group 1: working channel 1 (Active)
        Protect at 10.254.253.1
        PGP timers (from protect): hello time=1; hold time=3
        SONET framing
        Remote APS configuration: (null)

I'm assuming this is a near-end problem, but the carrier insists
everything's good on their side.  Does the message mean exactly what it
says?  The ADM is telling me the protect is locked out (on purpose?).

This is going from my router to an ONS-15454 if it matters.

-Dave