[c-nsp] Total hangs on 7301/7200 (NPE-G1)

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Dec 13 10:16:29 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:01:47PM +0300, Osama I. Dosary wrote:
> Thank you Rodney,
>
> I ruled out a) a few days back, since I was able to catch a hang while
> connected to console -- finding no messages. Also, we pulled out the one
> and only network cable, waited for over 20 minutes, and it still did not
> come back. In addition, prior to a hang, there are no significant
> traffic (bps&pps) or CPU increase noticible on our monitoring system
> (NMIS 5min polling interval.) (And I don't know an easy way to sniff
> 100Mbps, and make sense of it. Suggestions welcomed.)
>
> Regarding b) "real OS/hardware hang". I believe this to be the culprit.
> I've already set the register for stack trace few days back, but haven't
> been lucky to have a hang on that router since. (Also wondering, will a
> control-break be accepted by the console, when the console hangs?)

Yes.

> After a bit of testing, we came up with a work around: Using an external
> FastEthernet PA. This work around has been working pretty well the past
> 3 days (no hangs.) There are very few "spurious interrupts", but still a
> lot of in-queue drops.

What do you mean an external FE PA?

> Someone on the mailing list pointed me to this unresolved bug: "NPE-G1
> hangs in unqueue_inline"/ CSCef31300. (*Thank you Ian Chaloner*)
> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCef31300+&Submit=Search
> Although our routers are both 7200 and 7301, I figured that that bug
> might be it. To test it, I did "no ip cef" globally, and pounded the
> router with L2TP. So far so good. We lost some CPU power, though (~30%).

Please don't leave CEF off.  Let's fix the problem.  I'm ok with
turning it off for just the short term until we get a plan together.

> The status of the bug is: *Unreproducible*. Does that mean no one is
> working to fix it?

No.  It means we couldn't reproduce it in the lab and the particular
customer that reported the problem isn't seeing it anymore.

I looked at the bug.  I've seen something similar a couple times
before and this appears to be something along the lines.  It
appears to possibly be a problem in the switching vector.
The rommon trace decoded will tell us for sure but to find
out the root problem will most likely take a debug image.
I see for that bug DE had one ready to go for the customer.
Please have the TAC engineer look at your configuration and
match it up to see if it's similar to that bug.  On the surface
I'd say they look very close.  If so, have them get you a debug
image so we can figure out the root of the problem and get it fixed.

Rodney