[c-nsp] PPPoE multilink question

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Mon Dec 13 10:33:44 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

> Test scenario:
>
> 3640 (server) connected to a 1721 (client) with two cross-cable,
> running PPPoE.
>
> I'd like to bundle this two.
>
> PPPoE + the multilink itself seems good:
>
> 1720#sh ppp multilink
>
> Virtual-Access3, bundle name is 3600
>   Bundle up for 00:03:29, 1/255 load
>   Receive buffer limit 24384 bytes, frag timeout 1741 ms
>   Dialer interface is Dialer1
>     0/0 fragments/bytes in reassembly list
>     0 lost fragments, 0 reordered
>     0/0 discarded fragments/bytes, 0 lost received
>     0x0 received sequence, 0x35 sent sequence
>   Member links: 2 (max not set, min not set)
>     Vi1, since 00:03:29
>     Vi2, since 00:03:27
>

> Unfortunately the bundle has got no IP address. Seems 1720 can't hear
> the IPCP traffic

Obvious question: does it work if you remove one Ethernet from the dialer
pool and remove the multilink option from the dialer interfaces?  This would
narrow it down to if it's a multilink-specific problem or a more general
PPP(oE) problem.

My gut feeling, from looking at your debugs, is that it's down to clock
mismatch between the two ends - I've had many cases where setting the right
time on both ends causes non-working PPP links to spring to life.  (I'm not
sure where timestamps are actually used - is it CHAP/PAP, or is there
something in LCP, IPCP et al?)

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876