[c-nsp] Pix hardening

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Tue Dec 14 12:21:41 EST 2004

It's a good idea to set connection limits on the static command to limit outside nat connections, you can set max and "embryonic" in handshaking phase limits.
It's a bit of a pain but I prefer to permit outgoing session based on what is needed , block the rest, and always block smtp for all but the mail server.
With the icmp command you can permit/deny based on type and ip address and you can use ids to permit deny signatures , for example icmp large packet, but you can't configure the limits in the signatures, at least I haven't found a way to with pix
All the supported IDS signatures are listed in the pix system log messages

Hope this helps
Brian