[c-nsp] Cable runs

Jason Philbrook jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Wed Dec 15 10:41:51 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:40:13PM -0500, Bill Wichers wrote:
> > How long can you run coax for a DS3 before you start running into
> > problems?  We are kicking around the idea of moving our Networking and
> > server gear to a new location within the same building but leaving the
> > telco gear in the MDF.  I'm thinking the cable run would be about 100 to
> > 150 feet.  Will we run into problems?
>
> Depends on the kind of coax you use.
>
> 734 (approx 1/4" diameter) allows up to 450 feet
> 720 (approx 1/8" diameter) allows up to 255 feet
> 735 (approx 1/8" diameter) allows up to 230 feet
>
> 734 is roughly the equivalent of RG59 w/ BC (Bare Copper) center
> conductor, although RG59 is *not* the correct cable type for DS3.

We've used RG6 for DS3. It runs alongside a DS3 run of 734. Both work
fine and are about 75 feet. DS3 is such a low frequency compared to what
is usually run on coax that it shouldn't be too distance sensitive. If
you do it yourself, get the 75 ohm BNC connectors (used for video and
DS3), which are less common than the 50 ohm BNC connector (used for
radios)

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Internet Access,